For years I have been trying to find a cornbread recipe that does not come out flat. With this one I have seem to have found a winner. It rises nicely and is golden brown. It was even good the next day. It did not dry out like other cornbread recipes that I have tried.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
I once replaced the oil will applesauce to make it healthier, but it came too cakey/dense. So I would not recommend using applesauce.