My nine year old daughter who is not a big fan of yellow squash loves this recipe. She even helps me when I make it.
Yellow Squash Casserole
- 2 pounds small yellow squash
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (reserve some for topping)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups Ritz like cracker crumbs (save some for the topping)
- Wash the squash well and cut into bite size chuncks.
- Place in a pot with the chopped onion and about 1-1/2 cups water, sprinkle with salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the squash are just barely tender.
- Drain well and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the squash/onion mixture, cheese, melted butter, milk, egg, and about ¾ of the cracker crumbs.
- Mix gently until all is combined.
- Pour into a slightly greased baking dish.
- Combine the reserved cheese and crumbs and sprinkle over the squash mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes