This is a great way to use all of the beets and quite tasty too!
Beet Greens and Rice Gratin
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 generous bunch beet green, washed and blanched
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Bread Crumbs (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish.
- Blanch beet greens for 1 minute in a large pot of generously salted boiling water.
- Rinse greens with cold water.
- Squeeze out water and chop medium-fine. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and add onion.
- Cook until tender, about 5 minutes, and add the garlic and a generous pinch of salt.
- Cook stirring, until the garlic is fragrant bout 30 seconds.
- Stir in cooked greens and the thyme and toss together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Stir in the greens mixture, the rice, and the cheeses and mix together well.
- Scrape into the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with plain bread crumbs.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until sizzling and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.