Layers of potatoes and onion baked with a simple cheese sauce make a hearty and comforting casserole.
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
- Layer ½ of the potatoes into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with onion slices.
- Add the remaining potatoes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the flour and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Stir constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once and continue stirring until melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over potatoes.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1-1/2 hours at 400 degrees.