I made these last night and it was a big hit with the family. My father-in-law even asked for the recipe. The creamy garlic sauce made these potatoes so delicious.
Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white or yellow onion, peeped and thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock'
- 2 cups milk ( I used 1% milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves divided
- 4 pounds potatoes, sliced in ⅛-inch rounds, ( and peeled beforehand, if desired)
- 1-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour until it is evenly combined and saute for an additional 1 minute.
- Pour in stock, and whisk until combined.
- Add in the milk, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon thyme, and whisk until combined.
- Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until the sauce comes to a simmer (not a boil) and thickens.
- Then remove for heat and set aside
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Top evenly with half of the cream sauce, then sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and all of the Parmesan cheese. Top evenly with the remaining potatoes, the remaining half of the cream sauce, and the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme. Serve warm.