This is the best grilled cheese sandwich. I make these to go with a nice bowl of homemade soup especially tomato soup. My daughter ask for this sandwich every time we have soup. It is also great without soup. You can use any cheese you like.
French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thin, about ¼"
- 3 tablespoons butter softened, plus more for outsides of bread
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 4.5 oz cheese, shredded ( your choice)
- 4 slices bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the sliced onions. Stir until onions have softened and are starting to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spread onions in an even layer, cover pot, and reduce heat to low. Stir every 5 or so minutes. Continue until onions are nice and brown and caramelized about 25 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add the wine to deglaze the pan, and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom. Once all the liquid has absorbed, about 1-2 minutes, turn off heat.
- Preheat skillet to medium heat. Butter both sides of bread, lay buttered side down on skillet and cover with ¼ of cheese, top with half of the caramelized onions, and top with ¼ more cheese, then buttered bread. Cook until cheese is melted and the outside is golden brown.