This was amazing. It was another delicious way to use/cook spaghetti squash.
Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- To make the spaghetti squash, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cut squash right down the middle.
- Scoop out all the seeds and place cut side down on a baking sheet lightly greased.
- Bake squash in the oven for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and saute onion and garlic about 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until meat is no longer pink, drain.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow sauce to simmer until the spaghetti squash has finished baking.
- When your squash is about ready, stir in grated Parmesan cheese and continue to simmer.
- Remove squash from the oven and scrape out all the strands of spaghetti using a fork, place into a large bowl.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, spoon 1-1/2 cups of meat sauce into bottom and spread out evenly.
- Layer with ½ of the spaghetti squash then 1-1/2 cups more of meat sauce, then the rest of the spaghetti squash, then rest of the meat sauce and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake and additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
You can replace the 1 pound of ground beef with ground turkey.