My husband loved this meal. The chili and cornbread were a great combination.
Chili Cornbread Bake
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- CORN BREAD
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 2 quart casserole.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook ground beef, onions, pepper and garlic until meat is browned, drain.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine corn, milk and egg, beat well and add to dry ingredients.
- Spoon half of the cornbread mixture into greased casserole, sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Spoon chili over cheese, sprinkle with remaining half of cheese.
- Spoon remaining corn bread mixture evenly over the cheese spreading gently to cover.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.