I made this for the first time the other day and the family really enjoyed it. It was quite tasty and not rich. You could even use the chicken recipe as a another way to cook the chicken for a different meal.
Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
Recipe type: Dinner
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika ( I used regular)
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper ( I did not have)
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- FOR THE PASTA:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms ( I used canned)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1-1/3 cups milk at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh cracked pepper ( did not have)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 6 ounces fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the oregano,salt,paprika, red pepper, thyme, & olive oil
- Stir well.
- Place the chicken breasts on the prepared sheet pan and brush the mixture onto both sides.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and tent with foil until ready to use.
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks heat the two teaspoons of olive oil in a heavy bottom pot.
- Saute the mushrooms and onion over medium heat until soft, about five minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for thirty seconds.
- Add in the flour and stir to moisten, then pour in the milk and whisk to combine.
- Cook mixture until it thickens, about ten minutes.
- Once it has thickened season with salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in the cream cheese until inccorporated.
- Toss in the cooked pasta and mix gently to coat.
- Slice the chicken breast and toss into the pasta.