When we visited Philadelphia, of course when had to try their famous Philly Cheese-steak Sandwich. They were amazing. So I tried to make my own. It is good and comes pretty close to what we had in Philadelphia!
Philly Cheese-Steak Sandwich
Recipe type: Lunch
- Bread of choice (Italian, rolls, etc.)
- 1lb shaved steak
- 2-3 white onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- extra virgin oil for grilling
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheese of choice ( I use cheddar)
- Heat large sauce pan to medium-high heat.
- When hot, cover bottom with olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring until caramelized about 6 to 8 minutes
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Remove caramelized onions, place in bowl and keep warm.
- Add the shaved steak.
- Cook, breaking into to slightly smaller piece until meat is no longer pink
- Return onions to pan.
- Mix the meat and caramelized onions together.
- Sprinkle cheese of choice on top or meat mixture, and cook until cheese is melted
- Hollow out the bread and place meat on top.